Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Music Critic?

One of the very greatest things about having a blog is that you (meaning I) can have an opinion on anything and can post thoughts about said opinion without having to do any actual research or really have any knowledge. Based on that, I have decided to post my thoughts and ideas about music. Please keep in mind that I haven’t listened to the radio or watched a music video in a couple of years, so I should be in a good position to review the current state of music.
What do I like? Well, I like what I like, just like anyone else does. Depends on my mood. If someone had asked me back in 1995 what kind of music I liked, I could answer pretty easily: I liked the Barenaked Ladies, Tori Amos, Jimmy Buffett. (Now, maybe had someone asked me what I liked back then, I wouldn’t feel the need to foist my opinion on the world, but no one did ask, so now you’re all being punished). Today, if someone were to ask me what kind of music I like, I would answer: I like the Barenaked Ladies, Tori Amos, Jimmy Buffett. Maybe I am arrested when it comes to musical tastes. My tastes haven’t changed so much as grown, expanded. Yes, the Barenaked Ladies were my favorite band in 1995; I would still consider them one of my favorite bands. For many years, though, I leaned on Gordon, as my favorite of their records, but now, (today at least), it is Maroon. But there are others I love as well: Ben Folds, Ben Lee (pretty much anyone named “Ben” has a shot at being a favorite of mine), the aforementioned Tori Amos (though, again, her early album Little Earthquakes is my favorite, but I would still buy anything she puts out), Leonard Cohen, the Violent Femmes, Bob Dylan, Damien Rice, Pete Yorn, Beth Orton, Nick Cave, Morrissey (and The Smiths, but, let’s face it, The Smiths are just Morrissey and a couple of other guys) and Death Cab for Cutie. Bonus points to a new favorite, a band called The Decembrists, introduced to me by a friend who is infinitely cooler than I am. So, I am not opposed to learning more about music, to listening to what the cool kids are listening to. I just need incentive to turn off my CD player and turn on the radio.
Sometimes, a specific song gets put on repeat on my car stereo or the CD player at my work. That song, of course, depends on my mood, but I bet it is never anything that is even in the top 100 songs that people download onto their ipods. The most recent is a Damien Rice song, “9 Crimes,” but before that, the Tom Waits song, “The Fall of Troy,” which is one of those songs that is so damned beautiful that I can’t believe I am not listening to it right now (right now, actually, I am listening to a Nick Cave CD, which is how he made the list, I think. More than his music, though, I like the total attitude of really not caring what the hell people think about him. Plus there is a really random cameo of him in the Wim Wenders’ film Wings of Desire. I dig that.) For a while, it was “Famous Blue Raincoat” from Leonard Cohen. As I said, it all depends on mood. For my money, though, nothing can beat a sunny afternoon, sunroof open, listening to Jimmy Buffett. Everyone has his or her own sunny day music, but I have been in love with the Buffett since 1992. If he were to dress up Gregorian Chants with his Caribbean-tinged music, I would buy that album.
There is always a story behind each musician, each song that I have fallen in love with and I am sure that holds true for everyone. I haven’t given up on finding new favorites; I relish the idea of finding new gems. I am just a bit behind the times. So, consider this: whatever you are listening to now (be it on the radio or on an ipod or XM Satellite), I will discover this music three or four or even five years from now, long after everyone else has lost interest and moved on to something new. But, if you would like to give me a push in the right direction, please feel free to mention a few of your favorites.
Oh, and now I know what emo music is, so I intend to really research the music sometime this year. Or next. So, if you can think of a band I might like, send me the details and I will likely get around to listening to that band right after they break up.

2 comments:

Escape Artist said...

What about Aimee Mann's Bachelor No.2, Neko Case's Fox Confessor BRings thE flood, and Depeche Mode's 'Playing the Angel'?

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

A Decemberists convert, that's so...wait for it...awesome!

Long live nerd rock.

It got a little over-hyped during Garden State (what was the line in the movie, something like "this band will change your life"), but Zach Braff's favorite band The Shins is still very chill.

Along the same vein, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Guster, and Leona Ness would have to get nods as well for music for the sole purpose of relaxation. Not to mention my long-time favorite band that isn't called Tool...Bettie Serveert.

You mentioned Death Cab for Cutie, points, but you should really hear the lead singer's side project Postal Service. Only one album but it is legendary.

But don't get me wrong. I don't listen to any of this crap in the car, except for The Decembrists. In the car I like something a little different for driving music. e.g. New Found Glory, Early November, Starting Line, Blink 182, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle.