Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Boy, Oh Boy

I have settled into the idea of being a mother to two boys. Yes, this latest ultrasound has revealed the boyness of Baby X. So, now he has a name, just as Jude had a name from the moment we were able to see his first image on the ultrasound monitor. We’ve named him Sullivan. At this news, his grandparents have informed us that they all plan to call him Sully. This is okay with us. Jude often points to my belly now and says “Sullivan is in there” and the baby himself frequently makes his presence known – especially after meals. Even with a name, I can’t quite imagine what he will look like, who he will most resemble, but I am excited to meet him in a few months. I hope he likes us.

Preparing for a second child is nothing like preparing for the first. When I was pregnant with Jude, we moved everything out of the “library” into the basement and the library became a nursery. We (meaning Jeff and my step-dad) painted the room and we arranged dressers and the crib, put clothes away in drawers and left some outfits hanging from teeny hangers in the closet. I mentioned to Jeff that it was like having a college roommate who forwards all of his stuff to the room, then we have to wait around for a few months to meet him. Our house is small, cozy and comfortable, but small. Always underfoot are blocks and trucks and tiny dinosaurs (which Jude plays with, growling “I’m a monster bad guy”). Visitors might assume that we didn’t have a cat (as she is always hiding in the basement, sleeping), but no one would ever assume that we didn’t have a child. Usually the end table between the couch and recliner has books on it from the previous night’s reading (right now Dora The Explorer and The Very Hungry Caterpillar) and remnants of Cheerios. In short, it is not really our dorm room anymore. Not only has the other roommate moved it, but he has also taken over. So, I wonder where will Sullivan fit? When he gets stuff, where will it go? There is no question that we have made room in our hearts for another little guy. Now we just have to find floor space. And dresser space. And closet space. But, there is time. I am not too worried. Now, I need to sneak away. I hear a monster bad guy who could use some tickling before dinner time.

No comments: