Sunday, September 2, 2007

It Must Be Love

So, courtesy of Netflix and the local library I had two movies to watch this week: Raging Bull and Stranger Than Fiction. I thought that between them, there might be something to like, but, it turns out, I loved one of them. Yes, finally, a movie to love again.
Though it is widely considered one of the best films ever made, I had never seen Raging Bull, but was really curious and finally decided to watch it. I settled it to let the magic unfold for me -- and it never really did. It is a really good movie and I would recommend it, though I honestly fail to see what all of the hype was about. Jake LaMotta wasn't really a gem of a guy so it is hard to feel any sympathy for him. Still, I would consider Raging Bull to be a good movie.
Then, Jeff and I watched Stranger Than Fiction. This is, of course, the Will Ferrell movie from last year about the man who hears his life being narrated. Will Ferrell was really sweet, Emma Thompson was, as usual, brilliant and the script was funny and sad all at once. As I watched, I knew I was falling in love and, sure enough, when the end credits rolled, I thought "I really loved that."
After we watch a movie together, Jeff and I always discuss it. Sometimes these discussions are really, really brief, especially when the source material is really heinous. This time, Jeff was smiling when he asked me my thoughts on the movie and when I finished he said "I could tell you loved it. It seemed like a Kimbers kind of movie." He is pretty good at predicting how I will react to any given movie. I feel like I am such a fickle movie critic and I spread my movie love all over, not loyal to any particular genre. I can never really predict where movie love will strike, but I am just happy when it does.

No comments: