Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Yet More In The World Of Baby

In the movies, labor is always signified by a woman's rupture of membranes and her calm declaration "My water just broke." Then, the boyfriend/husband/sperm donor acts like a complete jackass, running around trying to get her to the hospital as though the baby is about to fall out onto the floor. If you only watched movies or tv, it would be easy to assume that every labor situation is the same. But, if you are pregnant (or with someone or know someone who is pregnant) and attend prenatal classes or read any books, you quickly learn that labor is different for everyone, but hardly ever will a woman's water break and she will immediately have a baby. Much emphasis is placed on the fact that much of labor may even be spent at home, timing contractions and such until it is a suitable time to go to the hospital.

Last Thursday, October 11, I was sitting on the couch, waiting for dinner when I felt an odd sensation, as though I may have peed a little (yes, gross I know). Then, I stood up and knew for certain that my water had broken. I calmly told Jeff "I think my water just broke." He was amazing, calm, getting Jude's dinner wrapped up and grabbing my hospital bag so we could get to the hospital. I wasn't having any contractions so I wasn't quite sure what I should do, but going to the hospital seemed like a good plan, especially since I was leaving a trail of amniotic fluid (again, gross, I know). Apparently when a pregnant woman's water breaks, the baby is usually (not always, but usually) in a birth-ready position, head down, acting pretty much like a cork in a bottle, stopping the gush of water. However, in my case, the baby had not dropped into position.

I was admitted into the hospital and the doctor was called. The nurses assumed that I would just be allowed to rest and the baby would be born in the morning. The on-call doctor came in and examined me and declared "You're having a baby tonight." So, Jeff called our parents and I was taken to the operating room. Having a c-section is definitely no picnic; I had forgotten the joy of getting a spinal block, which, as you may guess from the name, involves the insertion of needles directly into the spine. It is very effective for numbing, however. We arrived at the hospital around 7:00 and at 10:21, little Sullivan David was born. He was in a breech position and as soon as the doctor made the incision, his feet popped out. She touched his feet to guide him out and he pulled his feet back inside.

Sullivan is a healthy little cutie. He weighed 7 pounds, 11 ounces (four ounces more than Jude did) and was 20 1/2 inches long. He has blue eyes and dark, dark hair (again, just as Jude did). Baby and Mom are both doing well. Pictures will be posted soon.

No comments: