Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Tale of Two Kiddies

I have had to rename my children. It isn't that I don't like the names Jude and Sullivan anymore; I still do like them very much. However, the four-year-old (previously known as Jude) shall now be known as Drama King (maybe Drama Prince, because of his age) and the ten-month-old (previously known as Sullivan) shall henceforth be known as Biter Baby.

This weekend, I was able to see Drama King in all his glory. DK, who used to be able to share tv/movie time, has now decided that he does not care to do so anymore. Whenever he is called upon to turn away from his special television time (time which consists of putting in, but never actually sitting down to watch) a movie or television show (and, yes, I would much rather he play than watch tv), he does not share willingly. After a few episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants, I calmly explained to DK that although the exploits of an under-the-sea dwelling anthropomorphic sponge are entertaining, it was time to move on to something else. DK then raised his arm in -- what else? -- dramatic fashion and boldly declared "You never let me watch anything." The drama. The pathos. For a moment, I was touched by his plight.



Then, my attention was diverted by the baby. He crawled by at top speed, pausing to look up at me and smile. He then plopped down on his diapered rear and reached out his hands to me (I love the reaching out of the hands). I extended my two index fingers and he used them to pull himself up to a stand. He grinned, showing off those four teeth, which he promptly sunk into my forearm, catching me just right so as to draw blood and leave a fairly sizable bruise on my arm. Now he is known as Biter Baby. Biter Baby has also developed the charming habit of pulling himself up, which is very cute and a good developmental state but which makes bathtime very challenging. Biter Baby used to be content splashing in the water, but BB now has to try to stand up in the bathtub. When I say "no" and sit him down, his lip quivers at me.



Biter Baby has been able to chew more than forearms; he eats pretty well. Drama King, on the other hand, is just as difficult regarding food as ever. At dinner, DK will get his food and immediately ask for a snack, to which mean mom and dad tell him "You need to eat your dinner." He will then give us his most pitiful look and sigh "You say that every night." You'd think he would get used to it.

Ah Drama King and Biter Baby. What can I say? I love them.

No comments: