Sunday, May 3, 2009

An Hour, A Shower, A Complete Lack of Power

It was my own fault really. I leaned over and looked into their tiny faces and asked for ten minutes during which to take a shower, explaining in very simple terms that we needed to get ready for the party. I was selfish for wanting ten uninterrupted minutes of warm shower.

I went into the bathroom and closed the door and, oh, maybe thirty or forty seconds went by when I heard a blood-curdling scream (yes, my blood turned into cottage cheese)coming from the living room. I ran from the bathroom to find Jude lying on the floor, crying. He was sobbing so hard that he couldn't catch his breath.

"What happened?" I asked, holding him and trying to calm him.

"I fell," he said. He didn't elaborate.

"How did you fall?"

"I climbed up there," he said, pointing to a chair. "And tried to jump to there." He pointed to the computer chair -- a computer chair with wheels that sits upon a hard wood floor.

I assessed him and found no broken bones or bleeding and really was quite interested in finishing the shower I'd started so I began anew. Then I heard the bathroom door open and when I looked out, I saw Sully smiling back at me from the other side of the shower curtain. I turned back around and the shampoo bottles fell off the rack and landed on my foot. I let out a couple choice words, as the full bottles managed to land just right on my foot to cause pain. Oh, fun.

I limped out of the shower, certain that this was the weakest injury any human has ever suffered, got dressed and threw both boys into the tub for their bath. I rarely give them baths together and about three seconds in, I remembered why. I set Sully into the water and then helped Jude get his ear plugs in (ear plugs are a must for the next several months because of Jude's ear tubes) and he climbed into the water. He wanted to play with Sully and Sully's response was to begin to cry. Then cry a bit more. Then hold his breath and turn purple so I yanked him out of the tub and began drying him.

I sat on the bathroom floor, holding Sully, drying him, calming him as Jude played in the bath and before Sully was dry, he was sound asleep in my arms. I didn't trust my foot to stand upon as it began throbbing and was bruised so I sat on the floor. Jude told me I could go get Sully dressed and I assured Jude I wouldn't leave him in the bath alone. His response: "Mom, I'm not scared of monsters."

That made me laugh and made the wait on the bathroom floor more comfortable. Sully slept on me. Jude dressed himself and we spent the next half hour waiting for Jeff to come home.

Footnote: (Ha! See what I did there?) My foot is sore, bruised and not broken. Just another silly/stupid injury but not even close to the whole car door concussion thing.

No comments: