Sunday, March 4, 2007

The Social Event of The Year

Well, the social event of the year has come and gone and a good time was had by all. I am talking, of course, about my birthday. That is, of course, a joke; my birthday was on Thursday and it was very fun and Jeff, Jude and I went to dinner. A very fun affair, but, hardly the social event of the year. Instead, that distinction goes to my brother's wedding, which happened on Saturday evening.
Jeff and I met in January 2000 and got engaged in July 2000. We got married in August 2001 (just providing a handy time line). We bought a house in September 2002 and sweet Jude was born in July 2004. The last 7 years couldn't have been more different for my brother and his no-longer-a-girlfriend. They met at a wedding in March 2000 (2 months after Jeff and I met) and dated for a very long time. Amanda was a college student and Ryan was working at a tool and die shop. They seemed a very cute couple, but it was hard to tell if they had much in common. Amanda has since completed college, earning a doctorate and is now working as a pharmacist. Ryan is still at the same tool and die shop and these two kids that, on the surface, wouldn't seem to have too much in common, are very much in love.
My brother is pretty much in every way my opposite. Physically he is very imposing, something that served him well way back in high school when he played football and made friends with nearly every other kid on the football team. I mention that because twelve years later, he is still friends with most of those fellow football players. Whereas I don't really keep in touch with anyone I was friends with in high school, Ryan still sees these guys on a weekly basis and several of them were in his wedding party. We've never been terribly close, Ryan and I, as we are very different, though I know I have always wanted the best for him. Well, last evening, I know that happened. I have literally never seen my brother as happy as he was last evening. Though I have a strict rule about not drinking (since social drinking always led to my being a bit too social), I did have a few glasses of champagne last night. I am happy that my baby brother found someone to love and who loves him so much.
So, congratulations, Ryan and Amanda, you sweet little kids. Have fun in Mexico and, whatever you do, don't drink the water. Have champagne instead.

1 comment:

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

Happy belated birthday congratulations to your brother. Sounds like he and I have something in common - we both married up.