Sunday, May 6, 2007

100% Baby-Centric Post

Well, I made it: I am officially through my first trimester. I guess it goes by much more quickly when you spend the first few weeks unsure that you're even pregnant. I am already 14 weeks along. I was warned that I would "show" much earlier than this time. That is a gentle way of saying "Hey, don't get too comfortable in your regular clothes, fatty." I had to haul out my maternity clothes a couple of weeks ago. Other than a waistline that grows by the minute, the only lingering negative aspect of pregnancy is tiredness, which I cannot seem to shake. But, according to the doctor, all my bloodwork is good, my thyroid is under control and everything is right on schedule so I needn't worry. More bloodwork in two weeks and then an ultrasound two weeks after that, so we'll be able to determine the sex of Baby X. It bothers me not to know. I haven't had a clear sense at all of boy or girl, but people around me have been making their preferences known, which, I have to admit, annoys me just a bit because I have no control over the baby's gender. It is silly and irrational of me, but I feel like I am going to let someone down if I don't have a boy (for those who want a boy) or a girl (for those who want a girl). Mostly I am happy that I don't have to decide because I absolutely could not. But, I really want to know, want to be able to use the names we have chosen, rather than "the baby" all the time. Early pregnancy is a strange time, too, because I can feel movement, but I know no one else will be able to feel the kicking for several weeks. When I was pregnant with Jude, he was situated in such a way that Jeff was only able to feel his kicks once or twice. He was right-side-up (and never turned) and mostly facing inward. I have a feeling he would never have chosen to be born. He seemed quite comfy right where he was. I have already decided to have another caesarian; at least that way I know exactly what to expect.

No comments: