Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I Need to be Committed

There are certain things to which I have committed with no hesitation. For example, several years ago when Jeff came home from work one day and threw a ring at me, saying “You want to get married or what?” I replied without hesitation “I wish you had taken the ring out of the box before you did that.” Then, an enthusiastic “Yeah, okay.”

Then, in May of 2004, I was feeling a little unwell and went to the doctor. “Doctor,” I said. “I’ve gained a pound or fifty and wanted to know if that’s normal.” Immediately, he said “Well, you’re pregnant, so, yes, that’s normal.” “Are you sure?” I wondered. “Yes, I’m sure. And you’re almost eight months along.” Staring at that ultrasound of a full-grown baby, I decided to commit to having that baby.

But I have an inability to commit to a “best of” list. I can’t choose my favorite movie or favorite song. I can narrow it down to 20 or so, but have an impossible time choosing an absolute favorite, and, even with a list of 20, am always worried that I am leaving something off. Jeff and I occasionally discuss “the list,” that silly list composed of 5 famous people that you would “be allowed” to have sex with, no questions asked from your spouse. It is a silly exercise, and certainly one that could cause an argument if not handled in the very silly spirit in which it should be intended. So, this morning as I got ready for work, Jeff threw down the gauntlet. I picked it up and said “I think you dropped this,” but I did accept his challenge to choose my 5 people. He posted his list on his blog last night: http://dungtheblog.blogspot.com/

So, after much anxiety and fretful nail-biting, here is the list (in no particular order) that, once I actually post it, I will likely want to change, fearing that I left someone off:

James Marsters. I am certain he never gets tired of people saying “Do the accent. Do the accent.” Or maybe he loves that, either way, I would have to insist on the Spike accent. And the hair.

Tom Welling. The baby on the list. The hot, dark-haired farmboy/Superman from Smallville.

Julian Sands. I’ve always been oddly drawn to him. British and proper, but there is definitely something really sexual going on underneath.

Jude Law. Just so beautiful to look at. He runs a tie with Ewan Macgregor. I have harbored my crush on Ewan longer, but I really think that they should be counted as one selection. If I had to choose one (and really, Jeff, isn’t that cruel and exclusionary?) I would have to go with Ewan with a slight edge.

Jake Gyllenhaal. So adorable. I really want to hug him.

Honorable mentions: Christian Bale (talented and attractive, plus there’s the whole Batman suit); Jason Lee (he was always so cute and funny in Kevin Smith’s movies, but I am afraid that the Earl mustache is a deal breaker); Brad Pitt (whose name I feel almost guilty in including, as it seems so cliché, but that would be the long-haired tortured soul Brad Pitt of Interview with the Vampire and Legends of the Fall; and John Krasinski (very boy-next-door quality that I like).

So, there you have it: my probably definitive list.

Subject to change.

Jeff has embarked on a “365” blog project, posting a picture every day for a year.” If you’d like to see the photos or learn more about it, here you are: http://project365jeff.blogspot.com/

Song of the day: “Rest in Peace,” the James Marsters-sung song from the "Once More With Feeling" Buffy episode.

2 comments:

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

In no particular order:

*Mira Sorvino
*Suleka Mathew from the tv show Men In Trees
*Missy Peregrym from the show Reaper
*Milla Jovovich because she plays in nothing but bad sci-fi movies, gotta respect that
*I can't really think of a 5th off-hand, but if you make me choose here in the next five seconds I might go with someone like Maggie Gyllenhaal or Jenna Fischer from The Office. You know, someone you could take home to mom.

Unknown said...

Brian swore I was in all five slots on his list.

Here's mine:
Jake Gyllenhaal
Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters- I just love his goofienss.
Christian Bale
Zach Braff- cause I love geeks

Boy this is hard I know there is someone else but I can't think of them now.

I might put the guy that plays Peter Petrelli on Heroes on the list. I'd also wouldn't mind putting trainer Bob from the biggest loser on there. I just can't decide.