Monday, April 28, 2008

Making it All Better

There is a need to improve that is universal and ever-present in today's society of bigger and better. I have found myself tapping into my own need to make improvements in my life, internal and external.
Finally, finally the mint green walls of my living room are gone. Though I had toyed with the idea of actually knocking down the walls, it turns out that load-bearing walls are sort of a necessity in a home, so the walls were painted instead. I had auditioned a whole rainbow of colors and found myself addicted to the websites where I could go and test out colors on the walls of someone else's virtual home. Finally, I decided on a bright (warm) color called Sassy Peach. Light doesn't just reflect from the walls now, it seems to come from within the walls. My momma and her good friend, Bev (both suddenly unemployed after 30+ years of working for the same company) drove down while Jeff and I were working and spent the whole day painting for us. (This was a week and a half ago -- I am terribly behind on my blogging.) Then, at the end of the day, we decided to rip out the carpet and got to see the hardwood floors that had been hidden underneath our pathetic, stained carpet. The hardest part of not having carpet is the realization that every piece of furniture in our living room -- including the chair in which I am sitting -- has wheels. So, consider this a big "thank you" for the paint job. Of course, making one room better has fueled my need to do the same to the other rooms in this house.
Better. That's a concept that I -- like most people, I suppose -- have been surrounded by since very early age. Trying to do better. Trying to be better. Trying to make things better. (I know, I know: Do or do not. There is no try.) And having children fuels that desire to not only do better, but to be better. In fact, when one's baby is crying, it is natural to run to the baby, to pick up him, snuggle him close and gently shush him, soothing him with "It's okay. Mommy's here." And sometimes just the nearness of Mom does make things all better.
The need for improvement in my life resulted in my taking a new job a couple of months ago. I don't write about my job much; for me, it is a way to make money -- nothing more. I've found that more money means more stress, though, even to the point of causing insomnia. It seems selfish to complain, though, in the current economy when there are many people without jobs (see above) so I will just leave it at that.
And here they are, the reasons for making it all better.



And, speaking of bigger and better, little Sully Bean had his check up this week. He is up to 17 pounds and over 27 inches. Growing at a great rate and looking very healthy. I am always relieved to hear so after having problems during my pregnancy.
And Jude . . . ah, Jude. What a kid. I didn't realize the impact that all of this love of superheroes was having on his ever-developing mind. Earlier today we turned on the tv and there was a horse race on. Jude glanced at the tv, then looked at me and asked "Which ones are the bad guys?"
It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments: