Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What is the Purpose?

I have discovered my purpose in life: I am here (here being anywhere I physically happen to be) to make other people feel better about themselves. Not, so much in a motivational-speaker kind of way, but in a wow-am-I-glad-I'm-not-her kind of way. Why would I ever say that about myself? Well, let me provide an example.

I work in a professional office and strive to project a very professional image (those who know me can stifle their laughter right now and wait until the end). Earlier in the week, I drove home for lunch so that I could pick up a package I have been expecting for Jeff's birthday. I enjoyed a leisurely lunch on a very pleasant afternoon before driving the 20 minutes back to my office (I have an hour and 15 minutes for lunch, so going home is something I can do now and then when I need to).

I got back to the office parking lot and as I was getting out of the car, became overwhelmed with an I-can't-believe-this feeling. I glided across the parking lot and sat in my chair (which is nearest the back door by the parking lot) and immediately got back to work. A few times I had to get up to the copier or scanner or fax machine and I ran downstairs once to the kitchen to refill my glass of water, all the time, shaking my head. After a couple of hours, I said to the coworker who sits closest to me, "I can't believe I did that." "Did what?" she said, seriously. She really hadn't noticed -- nor, it seems, had anyone else in the office. I pointed to my feet. "I forgot my shoes." I really wish that I was just joking about this, but, sadly, am not. I always drive in the spring, summer and fall (any non-boots months) without my shoes on and I tend to keep my shoes in the car for when I get to my destination. But, when I went home Monday, I must have taken my shoes with me and left them right on the living room floor. So, there I was, not wanting to leave work to go back home (another 40 minute drive) and I didn't exactly want to be barefoot (well, not at work anyway). At least I had my blackest tights on so my legs and feet weren't entirely bare. Still, quite humiliating.

I choose to think that this type of forgetfullness is actually a sign of genius. In fact . . . what was I talking about?

Song of the day: Red House Painters "Have You Forgotten" Because, apparently, I have. I shouldn't, though. Great song.

Sullivan's purpose: to read big books



Jude's purpose: to conquer the world (a little at a time).

1 comment:

R.J. Keller said...

I repeat what I said on Jeff's blog: I am morally opposed to shoes in the workplace. And I agree with you about this being a sign of genius. Who has time to think about something as mundane as shoes when there are so many other pressing and fascinating things to consider?