Thursday, July 10, 2008

Like A Buffett

Warren Buffett is rich. I mean, really rich. I've heard his name in connection with finances. He is a millionaire. Or a billionaire. I'm not sure which without doing actual research, but the exact nature of his "aire" doesn't matter. Just know that he is loaded.

But, this post isn't about financial-whiz, rich Warren Buffett. This, my friends (and random stranger who happens along this site and reads down this far before realizing he/she is totally lost) is all about the Jimmy.

It is summer, so my mind naturally turns to the sounds of summer and one undeniable sound of summer is the music of Jimmy Buffett. Like it or hate it, it is out there, all summer long. (But, really, even if you hate it, put down this blog now and go.)

If you are familiar at all with Buffett, it is likely for two or three songs that he recorded back in the 70s (yes, the 1970s). But, he still records new music and has just a ridiculous amount of albums put out. Seriously: it must be around 30 or so (again, not willing to do the actual research). I admire that. Not only do I like the music (which is summer encapsulated into little stories), but I admire the man himself.

Well, there is something really appealing about someone who just sets out to accomplish something and then does. He decided "Hey, I want to write and record albums" so he did. Then, eventually he bought his own label to put out his albums. There seems to be a "balls to the wall" (and I love the sheer masculinity of that term, though there is no female equivalent, nor should there be as the possibilities make me shudder) quality to him, just tossing himself into one project after another. He wanted to fly airplanes, and now he does. He decided to write a novel and he did -- and "Where is Joe Merchant?" is really funny and pretty good. Of course, there have been subsequent novels he wrote that I also enjoy. Entertaining stuff. He turned me onto Herman Wouk after he read Wouk's "Don't Stop the Carnival" and decided "Hey, that would make a nifty musical. I think I'll write and produce a musical based on that."

Sure, I am a Jimmy Buffett fan and admit that I like the wide array of songs from his career, both originals and covers (I particularly like the covers of The Grateful Dead's "Uncle John's Band" and Crosby, Stills and Nash's "Southern Cross"). But I digress (heck, this whole blog is a digression -- that's just the way my brain operates). The point (if I have one) is that Jimmy Buffett, the man who is the poster child for laid-back living, is amazingly productive. I am trying to adopt more of that into my own life, trying to throw myself into more projects, take more risks (all well within the confines of first taking care of my babies) go all ballsy (see, again with the masculine overtones without a female counterpart) and dare to dream.

So, I am daring to have a vision and trying to see it through. Of course with my astigmatism, my vision isn't always too clear. Still, no matter what, I will be just fine. After all, I'll always have Jimmy and for now, I have this beautiful sunshine as well.

4 comments:

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

We are hiring at my blog. (It's called Parenthetical.)

:-D

Kimberly said...

Awesome! I am totally going to apply.

Wait -- what does it pay? :)

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

All you have to do is pour out your poor little (parenthetical) heart.

Kimberly said...

Are you abandoning your blog? (Please say no -- that would suck.)