Sunday, July 27, 2008

So Much to Say, So Little Blog

So, I have been away again. It turns out that finding a job is a job in itself. It has been a wonderful four (4) weeks with no work, but it turns out that my theory that I don't really need a paycheck was, in fact, completely wrong.

A lot has happened since my last blog. I am sure I will be forgetting something (and, if you read Jeff's blog, then you are likely already caught up. If you are Jeff, you are likely already caught up as well). And these topics may or may not gets blog postings of their own, depending on whether I actually write them.

First: a new job. I just got the call this past Friday, informing me that they wanted to offer me a job. I go on Monday morning. It is an office job. I will elaborate more after my meeting on Monday.

My friends, Brian and Ashley, visited last Friday on their way back home to the almost-deep-South. It was great to see them, even if our visit was too short. Four adults. Three children, all under the age of 4. No one wanted to sit by our table at the restaurant; I don't understand why. I admire them for traveling with a little baby. Even a brief trip to Michigan to visit with my parents can sometimes be a trial with the two boys. We've never attempted a multi-state trip. We will, though; eventually we'll just have to suck it up.

We've been trying to soak up as much sun and pool time as possible. Jude and Sully are both naturals in the water, so we spend lots of time in our little pool. Jeff has designated himself the "pool boy" and he does a splendid job keeping it in shape (just as he does with the house, so thank you, Jeff).

Jude's birthday is coming up this week. We had his annual party with family and friends at that place where grownups can be kids. Seriously. My brother took off as soon as he got there to go beat out some kids at skee-ball and I didn't see him again for a long, long time. When he returned to our tables, he did so bearing an armful of tickets, which we promptly used to buy stock in the restaurant. With the leftover tickets, we "purchased" stuff that we could have purchased outright with actual cash, but it always seems more fun to do so redeeming tickets. Plus, we were able to spend time with our new "friend couple" and since we don't have many (okay, none) local friend-couples, we were very excited about that.



Why is it that other people are allowed to bring their children to such places? I thought it would be so fun just to let Jude and his cousins and friends have free reign over the place. As I have mentioned many times in this blog, I don't consider myself a great mother, but I do think I am a good mother. Good. Not great. Still, it is tough some days to see other children running amuck (I just like that phrase) with no apparent parental figure around. Jude does plenty of amuck-running, but there is always a parental figure around. He is boisterous, always ready to run and full of way too much energy. Any suggestions on how to properly channel that energy into something positive?

Yep, while I was unemployed, I did so many productive things: I got papercuts from sending out resumes, I became addicted to eBay, I watched my son learn to crawl (and to figure out that he can move from the living room into the bathroom all on his own now!) and I watched Sweeney Tood: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. Would you like this film? If you are the sort of person who reads a title like "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" and decides you must see it, then you will probably like it. I loved it. Dark and bloody. And a musical. Good times.

There's more, but I will save that for another blog. So, brace yourselves.

2 comments:

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

That picture of Jeff giving Chuck E. Cheese the "wooshka wooshka" look is freaking hilarious.

R.J. Keller said...

Sorry I've been absent with the comments of late. I've still be keeping track on the rss feed.

BTW, I gave you an award. The info is on my blog, if you're interested.