Thursday, January 8, 2009

Late Last Night

Just a quick post as I am eager to get to sleep and see if my coughing of the past 20 (!) days will finally cease when I lie down.

Last night was a rather comedy of errors around here, the sort of strange series of pratfalls that would almost be funny if they didn't involve people I love so fiercely.

We were eating dinner and Jude, who has his mom's natural grace (okay, total lack thereof) somehow managed to knock his tray (yep, dinner tray) over, falling forward onto the hardwood floor and hitting his face. We rushed into the bathroom to check for loose teeth and bloody anything and he was crying, saying his chin hurt. But crying in that hysterical way that makes my heart nearly stop each time I hear it. He cried so hard that he began throwing up. Jeff was helping him while I hovered and neither of us saw Sully come into the bathroom.

Sully wandered in to see what was happening and managed to trip over Jeff's legs and bang his head hard on the pink bathub. Jeff scooped up Sully so I could take over Jude and his vomiting and Sully did the awful thing he hasn't done in a long time: he stopped breathing.

I could hear Jeff saying "Breathe, damn it, breathe" and my heart stopped again when I looked out into the hallway and saw Sully fall limp in Jeff's arms. I know I mentioned it before but I cannot possible articulate how awful it is to behold. And he didn't seem to want to start breathing again.

So I stopped my Jude puke duties and rushed to Sullivan who finally decided to start breathing. He was purple and listless, his eyes dazed and there was a huge knot on his forehead.

Today, both are back to normal.

Or at least what passes for normal around here.

Song of the Day: "I Want To Be Sedated" by The Ramones. Because sometimes I really do. Oh, and I like to sing along to it.

No comments: