Sunday, August 15, 2010

Me, J and the Bear

Last night it was just the three of us; Jude went to a party at a friend's house and he spent the night. Sully didn't even seem to notice that Jude wasn't there until it got close to bathtime. Then Sully toddled through the house in just his diaper saying "Jude. Jude. Jude." I had to break it to him that Jude wasn't coming home that night. He looked sad for a moment and then brought me a bag of popcorn and smiled his sweet little Sully Bear smile at me and I made the popcorn for him.

We sat on the couch, Jeff, Sully and I, and read a book about potty trainer (Sully's choice). He knows all about the potty. Has seen the potty. Has seen everyone else in the house use the potty. Has studied the potty. Has flushed the potty. But he does not want to use the potty.

But last night wasn't about the potty. It was about Sully getting undivided attention from both parents at the same time. This is a rarity, I know.

Sully ate it up, just has he ate the popcorn. "You're partying like a rock star," I told him as it grew later and later, past his bedtime. He smiled and set popcorn on the couch, eating it up like a dog. Ah, Sully Bear, you are a cute little devil.

This morning, Jude came home with tales of his adventures at his friend's house. He has reached an age where he would rather play with friends than with Mommy and Daddy and sometimes that can be hard to take. He is growing up so fast.

Speaking of growing, our first butterfly has hatched. She (I know nothing of butterfly gender, but to me the butterfly looks like a she) is waiting for her friends to hatch. I am enjoying watching them because I know all too soon it will be time to set the butterflies free. Until then, I can love them and nurture them.

And occasionally let them party like rock stars.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Love your blogs, Kimberly. Your observatons and remarks are very thoughtful.