Sunday, February 20, 2011

Potty Train of Thought

Sully is potty resistant. He is potty proof. He is potty adverse.



Here, he and his brother are planning a coup. This what happens when power to the (little) people goes to their heads.

Yes, Sully is being stubborn when it comes to learning to use the potty. He has decided that he will not use the potty. He has peed in diapers. He has peed in big-boy panties with pictures of Star Wars and Cars upon them, little underwear that breaks my heart.

And this is part of the problem.

For Sully is the last child and he is already three. He is sleeping in a bunk bed. Choosing his own clothes. Feeding himself. Undressing himself. Nearly dressing himself. But the diapers still speak of babydom. So I encourage him to use the potty (which he won't). Take him to use the potty (which he won't). But I don't really push, can't bring myself to push him in this regard.

Because of the lag in his speech, it is easy to mistake him for a younger child. But he is three. More than three now. Not in any way a baby.

I need to encourage. To love. To show him that he doesn't need diapers any more.

And that I need to let the image of my diapered baby go.

2 comments:

Josh Hosler said...

I know they say never to say, "I know exactly what you mean" ... but, see, I do! At age 5, after several weeks of kindergarten, Sarah FINALLY stopped having daytime accidents. It really will happen. But I just prolonged it by being anxious about it.

Wish I could help you figure out how NOT to be anxious about it, but see, I never did.

Kimberly said...

I just truly thinks that he doesn't understand the whole concept of the potty. That is what worries me more than anything.

But thank you for your reassurance, Josh.