Thursday, February 8, 2007

Daydreamy Believer

It is a good thing that I am not an air traffic controller. Seriously. I don’t know how to keep those suckers in the air, let alone land them. Oh, and my mind tends to wander. Especially at work. I am sure that is true of most people but in my case, my lack of focus has reached legendary proportions. Should someone ask me what I am thinking at any given moment, an honest answer would be both lengthy and confusing to the listener, so I am eternally thankful that on a daily basis people tend to ignore my introspection. Here’s a sampling of the random weirdness that occurred in my brain today.
Remember William H. Macy’s character in Magnolia? Magnolia was the first movie that Jeff and I saw together and I still remember Macy’s character most of all and his sad statement “I have so much love to give but I don’t know where to put it.” (Or something to that effect, I may be a little off on the quote, but that is the basic sentiment.) If I could speak to Macy’s character (and possibly I think about interactions I would have with different movie characters unless that is completely insane, in which case, I certainly do not), I would gently steer him to the internet. The internet would appear to be an outlet for any random thought or emotion a person might have (see also: this blog). The sheer number of internet dating sites is astounding. If you are into something, you will certainly find someone else with the same interest if only you look hard enough. This is not a knock on dating sites. It was through one such site that I met Jeff. I only wish that this resource had been available to me a bit earlier in my dating life – particularly in college. I was doomed to wade through a pile of losers and miscreants and tried to choose the least loser-y and miscreant-y. Wow did I fail. I like to think that my past dating failures have made me a more loving and appreciative wife, but I think I would have still fallen in love with Jeff had I not had such a sordid dating track record. Who knows?
It is sunny today and it is expected to get up to 14 degrees today. Yep. Up to 14 degrees. Possibly by next week it will be time to pull out the barbecue. To celebrate, I have cranked up my favorite Harvey Danger CD (the one with Carlotta Valdez) in my car to ease my long commute home. Okay, that’s a lie. It is ten minutes from work under ideal conditions (no train, no ice on road, no cars anywhere else on the road in front of me).
I think I will have a piece of gum.
Last movie watched: An American Haunting. An American piece of crap is more accurate. I was so bored watching it that even its brief mention here is making me yawn. Jeff and I are in the middle of Art School Confidential, so I will review that in my next blog.

No comments: