Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Passion For Fashion?

I admire women who have a “look”, the fully put-together ensembles with accessories, clothes that fit together. I admire these women and have been known to say “I like that” about certain outfits, but I am not one of these women. I dress fairly conservatively for work, not too differently than for other occasions, but I always attempt to present well, to not look like I dressed while half-asleep (though usually that is true). I have new dresses, comfortable but not tent-like, perfect for fitting my pregnant form and last Friday decided to wear a black dress and sandals (foot wear is a separate issue – I still hate shoes and will only wear comfortable shoes). The dress was cute, black with flowers and I dressed carefully, doing my usual cocoa-butter morning routine as I dressed Jude and fed him breakfast.
When I got to work, I turned on my computer and happened to look down at said new dress. Already I was missing a button – the third from the top – and I noticed tiny white streaks that, upon closer inspection, I discovered to be deodorant. Really, I am quite hopeless.
I have determined that I don’t need someone to dress me. I feel comfortable in my own clothes and wouldn’t want to drastically change my lack-of-look, but I do need someone to follow me around and keep me from spilling condiments on the front of new, white shirts.
I don’t read fashion magazines as a general rule, though I did recently peruse a copy of Harper’s Bazaar that was mailed to one of the students at my school. Amidst the high fashion (which I admit I will never understand) was an interesting article about women throughout history who bucked convention and just wore whatever the heck they wanted, from interesting hats to oversized accessories. I don’t really have a hat collection, though there are interesting hats that I see on occasion that I think perhaps I could pull off, should I have any hat-wearing needs. I have decided, though, that if I ever find a shoe-shaped hat like the one in the movie Brazil, I will have to buy it and wear it.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, that looks like a spot of toothpaste on my favorite green shirt. I need to go change.

No comments: