Friday, February 1, 2008

I Am Really Sick and Tired of This

This hasn't been the most stellar of weeks, but at least it is over! Tuesday evening I awoke at 11:00, unable to fall back asleep, freezing. I was concerned that the furnace wasn't working. I hopped out of bed and turned the heat up another two degrees, noting that everyone else in the house was still asleep. I threw on two layers of clothes and added another blanket, but still could not get warm. So, at midnight I got up and took a hot bath (hot bath -- bad for the skin but such a wonderful indulgence nearly impossible with two small children). I shivered in the tub, though I could hear the furnace working. After the bath, I climbed back into bed.

Then, at 1:30 or so, the power went out. Earlier in the day it had been 49 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the temperature fell overnight to 1 degree below zero, so the house began getting chilly awfully fast. We packed up the boys and drove in the middle of the night to Jeff's mom's house. They didn't even seem to mind us showing up at 2:00 in the morning, looking for a place to sleep. Through this whole ordeal, Sully slept. He was comfy in his car seat, bundled in a big coat so we unzipped it and let him sleep in the car seat. Jude, on the other hand, had been nursing a nasty little cough, but once he woke up, he didn't want to go back to sleep. It was an adventure, being out in the middle of the night. The snow was falling, the wind was gusting and there were no other cars on the road. Jude slept in the spare bedroom, while Jeff and I got the couches. I still could not get warm.

We left at 6:00 a.m. so Jeff could go home and get ready for work. I had already taken the day off, planning to take care of several errands before starting my new job on Monday. Instead, I crashed on the couch, sleeping most of the day. I watched several episodes of Tales From the Crypt Season 7 (the last and worst season). That was my whole day. A big waste.

Thursday, I still felt lousy, but came into work to train my replacement. In the afternoon, our daycare provider called and said that Jude was complaining of chest pain when he coughed so I called Jeff to let him know I would come get Jude. Since Jeff was already near the daycare, he picked up Jude instead and took him to the doctor who, thankfully, got him in that afternoon.

So, Jude has walking pneumonia. Poor kid. The medicine is wonderful though, since it actually allowed him to sleep and he was at full-Jude strength this morning. I am so thankful it wasn't something more serious. Yes, it is serious enough, but three days of medicine should completely knock it out.

Today is Friday and I am nearing the end of this job. A new adventure begins on Monday. Over the weekend, we will be resting and relaxing and I hope we are all well by Monday.

An aside about Tales From the Crypt: It is a show I enjoy -- mostly. Several of the episodes are very clever and well written and I am such a sucker for clever. By season 7, however, I think they just plain ran out of ideas. Definitely a sub-par season. One of the fun things about watching the episodes, though, is seeing the different actors. Since season 7 was filmed in England, there are scores of Brits and Scots: Daniel Craig, Imelda Staunton, Ewan Macgregor and even little Anna Friel, who now plays Chuck on Pushing Daisies. The upside: lots of great British accents. The downside: Ewan Macgregor plays an American. I guess I will have to go back to Trainspotting to catch that accent.

Song of the day: "Handbags and Gladrags," that nifty little ditty that plays over the end credits of the British version of The Office.

No comments: