Sunday, August 5, 2007

Happy Anniversary . . . To Me

You know the kind of families where there are aunts and uncles and cousins that get together every year for a family reunion? That is my family. So, August 11 will be dedicated to catching up on a year's worth of talking with relatives that I rarely get to see. (Actually I'll spend most of the day talking to my mom and step-dad since they don't get to see Jude very often, then talking to my younger cousin, Jen, about her second c-section, but I will make an effort to talk to other people as well.) August 11 will be my wedding anniversary, so Jeff and I celebrated a week early this year.

Jude went to Jeff's mom's house for the day and Jeff and I went to an early matinee of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (a good movie that felt too rushed -- too much from the book to try to pack into the movie). Then, on the way back from the movie, Jeff had to listen in painful detail to my explanations of what was missing from the movie since I just read the book a couple of months ago.

A bit later in the day, Jeff and I soaked up some Japanese culture. Generally, our immersion into Japanese culture is limited to Jeff's love of of Akira Kurasawa films and my fascination with Japanese horror films (more on that in my next blog). Last night, it meant going to our favorite teppan steakhouse for dinner. It has been our favorite eatery since we were dating and tends to be the place we go to for special occasions. Since we have been cutting costs while trying to save for baby #2, I thought for certain we would be going elsewhere for dinner and have to admit that I was a bit disappointed, especially since Jeff recommended that we go to a Chinese buffet (not bad food, but not even close to the tastiness of "our place"). However, as Jeff drove toward the restaurant, I smiled. I know that means we won't be eating out any time soon, but it was worth the splurge to celebrate the last six years. Six years. We were married nearly three years when Jude was born, but it is harder to remember those years -- for both of us. So, I celebrate us, but mostly, I celebrate Jeff: to the man who has put up with me for the last six years, but never once made me feel that we was just putting up with me. I love you.

No comments: