Friday, August 24, 2007

TV or Not TV

During the summer, it is not hard to stay away from the programming offered by network television. As I stated in previous blogs, I am not a fan of reality television (I have enough reality of my own, thank you). This summer I have managed to find two shows worth watching (or, at least worth taping until I find time to watch them) and both are courtesy of the USA Network. The first, Burn Notice, interested me because of Jeffrey Donovan. He was previously in Touching Evil (also on USA), which was watched by no one but me, so it was soon canceled. It is not the typical spy show ­and it costars Bruce Campbell, so my geek side was definitely interested. Good stuff. Entertaining. The second show I missed in its entirety the first season, but saw commercials during Burn Notice, so I had to check it out: Psych. Hilarious. Easily my favorite new show (new, that is, to me). Often I am late to the game in catching shows, usually becoming a fan right before said show is ripped from the schedule or canceled outright. It happens every year, so I really shouldn’t be surprised, but inevitably I am disappointed. This stung most of all with Boomtown and with Arrested Development, both of which you can check out however on:

TV on DVD

Boomtown was on television late at night (10:00, which is past my bedtime.) Nevertheless, I stayed up to watch it because I was riveted. It was smart and interesting, a crime show that respected its audience, that didn’t assume that the audience was comprised of morons, unlike many shows. And I loved its style: the multiple points of views, its interesting and complex characters – none more so than the absolutely fantastic Neal McDonough, who portrayed district attorney David McNorris. It was a show about perspective as much as it was about crime. I loved it and, like Fredo did to his brother, Michael, its cancellation (after one season, no less) broke my heart. But, unlike Michael, I couldn’t kill to alleviate my broken heart, so I moved on – to Arrested Development. This is a show that is perfect for DVD since it is something that has to be watched from the beginning. It is bizarre and clever (always a good combination) and I was fortunate to discover it on television from its first episode. Though the whole cast was excellently strange, I admit a particular fondness for Michael Cera. I just flat-out loved that kid.

Since I am done with Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel, I had to move on and my new series on DVD is Freaks and Geeks. I loved it when it was on television and I still love it on DVD. I am only a few episodes in, but, unfortunately, the entire show was only 18 episodes long, so I fear it won’t take me long to see them all again. The same is true with My So-Called Life, a show I managed to watch when it originally aired, even though it conflicted with NBC’s must-see line up of Friends, etc.

I admit that since I am often late in appreciating certain shows, I discover them first on DVD, even though they may currently be playing on television. This is true of Rescue Me (a great show) and the aforementioned Buffy and Angel.

The new fall schedule is approaching quickly and though there isn’t anything in the offering that sets my heart apatter, I know that I will inevitably fall for one or two new shows that will then quickly disappear from the schedule, canceled or in the twilight status of hiatus. Until then, I will have to make due with whatever I can order from Netflix or find from my local Best Buy.

If you have any suggestions of shows I should check out, please let me know. I am anxious to find my next great (television) love.

3 comments:

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

For the Fall line-up, I'm looking forward to Chuck. We might also try Big Bang Theory and/or the two death-based shows Reaper and Pushing Daisies. But I think Chuck looks funny and different. Don't forget about Sunny in Philly, the funniest show on television.

Unknown said...

I liked Touching Evil, you were not alone. I've been trying to figure out where I knew that guy from and now I know.
Ash

Kimberly said...

Still never seen Philly, but Reaper did catch my eye. I am not sure about Chuck or not. I am looking forward to having Hereos back.

Glad to know I wasn't the only Touching Evil fan. You have good taste, Ashley :)