Sunday, August 12, 2007

I Don't Have Syphillis

I have been working on blogs on a couple of different topics, but my mind keeps going back to these thoughts that I just have to write down. They are, of course, pregnancy related thoughts, but once I get them out of my mind, I can go back to concentrating on the tv and movie blogs that I really want to write.

This week I got another bit of bad news. It seems that the bad news (though it has all been minor) just keeps piling up this pregnancy. Another bad test result. I haven't had this many bad test results since eighth grade algebra. This time, my glucose tolerance test came back a bit high. So, I have to have a retest this week and am not looking forward to it. The test consists of fasting, then drinking a nasty-tasting very sweet drink. Then, blood is drawn after one hour, again after two hours and then again after three hours. It is going to be a long morning. The nurse warned me that the test will likely make me sick and light-headed since it has to be done after fasting and blood is drawn three times. My bigger concern is, of course, the results of the test. A high result this time could mean gestational diabetes. So, after starting off with a miscarriage that wasn't a miscarriage and a thyroid that just won't function on its own, now I am worried that I am not producing enough insulin. I know I won't be truly at ease until after the baby is born and I can see whether he is healthy. As October inches closer, I get more nervous about his health. As I talked to the nurse about my test results, she did throw in "Well, you don't have syphillis," so I guess that is another positive.

So that is what I have to look forward to this week. I try to focus on the positive: good weight gain, very active moments (even in the middle of the night) and overall feeling pretty good right now (except of course for the tiredness, which never really goes away).

Friday I talked to Theresa, an old coworker who has a son two weeks older than Jude. We got to experience pregnancy together and she is now due again in three weeks. The first time, she had a troublesome pregnancy that resulted in her having to have total bedrest. I had no problems with Jude, except for the fact that he was breech. This time, Theresa is experiencing no problems and I keep having "funny" test results, so I guess you never can predict.

Yesterday I stood next to my cousin Ashley, my youngest cousin who found out that she is twelve weeks pregnant. She looked at me was lamenting that she doesn't even look pregnant and I just laughed. Soon enough Ashley. Soon enough.

No comments: