Saturday, August 4, 2007

It's Not Right . . . But It's Fair

Wednesday night was my first foray into county fairdom in quite some time. Years ago when Jeff was trying to woo me, we headed to the fair one sultry summer evening for elephant ears and carnies. A good time was had by all.
Jude had never been to the fair, so we decided to empty our savings account and treat him to an evening there. Of course the very pregnant lady wanted to try every greasy, fried incarnation of "food" (settling on chicken that wasn't at all greasy, then half an elephant ear) while the men (Jeff and Jude) decided to ride the carousel. For a moment, I thought I would be able to take Jude on his first little rides, then remembered that I am eleven months pregnant and not able to whip around on carnival rides. I enjoyed being a bystander near the dizzy whirlwind of horses and children, big and small.
Walking around in the 90-degree heat, Jude's eyes were immediately drawn to a tractor pull. We stopped our gypsy wandering and settled down onto bleachers to watch tractors. Actually, I ended up watching Jude watching tractors until the heat became too unbearable and had to pull myself away from the excitement. Watching whatever fascinates Jude fascinates me.
Earlier this week, I had to throw away my cute comfy sandals that I have had for several years because they simply fell apart. I had to shop for shoes -- which I hate -- and ended up settling on not-quite-as-cute black sandals. After walking around for a couple hours in the new sandals, I cursed the stupid new footwear. My feet were swollen and I had nasty blisters on the tops and sides of my feet. Ah, pregnancy. Still, next time we go, I'll be able to sit beside Jude on the carousel horses and feel the wind through my hair.

No comments: