Monday, October 13, 2008

Music To My Ears

Sitting at my desk at work today, I was approached by a coworker inquiring about the music I was playing (a CD; I wasn't strumming a guitar at my desk or anything).

This is not uncommon. Generally when I am approached, the next words I hear are "What is that atrocious noise? Please cease playing that vile crap immediately as our ears are bleeding."

But today's exchange was different. Unexpected. The words were "You're a Tori Amos fan, too?" This lead to an actual conversation with a coworker regarding Tori Amos and music. I was very excited about this.

Do you realize what this means? If you just said "You're a geek," then you are correct.

Speaking of music, the music from Halloween (the movie) is the spookiest music there is. That John Carpenter created theme always makes me think of watching the movies and October is my favorite horror movie watching time.

When I was much younger, I was lying in bed and I heard the strains of the Halloween music. It was dark in my bedroom and late and I tried for three or four whole minutes to ignore the sounds, but I couldn't, so I wandered out of bed into the living room. A family friend named Scott was living with us then and he was lying on the couch watching Halloween 2. I told him I wanted to watch the movie, too, even though maybe I was a bit (okay, a lot) too young to be watching it and he told me no and tried to send me back to bed. But I didn't want to go to bed. I wanted to finally see Halloween 2. Eventually, he relented and I sat on the floor and watched the movie. It scared the crap out of me.

So, now whenever I see Halloween 2, it makes me think of Scott. He died this week. He was 48. It is a sad time for my family.

Song of the Day: "Northern Lad" by Tori Amos.

No comments: