Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's My Age Again?

(This post is a week overdue, so if it contains old info, that's why.)

I started a new job -- two actually. One is a day job, working as a receptionist for an office of therapists. (Please feel free to insert your own "need for therapy" joke here.) I like it very much. Two whole days in and I haven't cried on the job once. (That's not my only qualification for enjoyment of the job, but it is a definite bonus!)

My other job is a night job that I am in training for currently. I am/will be in telemarketing. What fresh hell is this? Most of the people I am training with are significantly younger than I am. A handful are exactly half my age. I am trying to approach this job training as an anthropological experiment instead of the sad mid-life setback that it is. I am an observer, watching lives unfold. I'm even witnessing a possible budding romance between a cute emo kid and a very cute (and slightly out of his league) preppy girl. They sit. They flirt. I observe (as a writer, not as a voyeur).

I'm 34, surrounded by 17-year-olds (or is that old's -- what do you think, Brian?) and I have no idea how to talk to them. I'm even less sure than I usually am about the adults who surround me. I prefer my teenagers in fictionalized form. On television, I have become enamored of those kids from "Gossip Girl". It is definitely a guilty pleasure. I can't help it; I really like that darn show. I got sucked in and now I watch every week. I've also become quite involved in the lives of the fictitious British teens on the show "Skins" on BBC America. Now that show I really love. I'm not sure why; maybe some bizarre vicarious thrill. I would never want to be a teenager again. I wasn't good at it the first time. I think I make a better adult. But lately I have been surrounded by teens in fiction and I am enjoying it. I even read "Twilight" last week. For those of you living in caves (and thus without the required internet connection to access this-here blog) it is the story of a teenage girl, Bella, who falls in love with a vampire. I was filled with a little bit of self-loathing as I read it because I really enjoyed it.

Remember Rob Lowe's character from "St. Elmo's fire"? No? I do. I don't want to be that person. I want to be the grown up, surrounded by other grown ups.

Song of the day: "What's My Age Again?" from Blink 182 because I stole their song title for my blog title.

Movie Review. . . . "Clerks 2" A funny movie about growing up. I love the end shot of that movie. Some funny and immature stuff in the film, but ultimately about growing up. Perfect movie for someone in his or her 30s (or was that 30's, Brian?)

1 comment:

Brian in Real Life, Mojo on the Xbox said...

I believe it should be 17-year-olds' and someone in his or her 30s'. But you have to say it either like Gollum "thirtieseses" or like David Alan Grier from In Living Color "breasteses".